Unit 13 and STL Accomplishments
Every week, our founder Dennis Harper writes a message to all of the GenYES Facilitators in the nation with tips, pertinent information, and stories about what students and Facilitators have accomplished in the GenYES program.
Another sensational curriculum unit went online this week. This is a good unit to go through with your STLs. Check out Unit 13 and its activities:
Unit 13: Becoming a Teacher
- Creating Tutorials
- STLs as Teachers
- Giving Professional Development Workshops
- Attending Educational Conferences
Viewing STL Accomplishments
Now that the school year is well under way, we are seeing some major STL accomplishments. Your GenYES online environment allows all of you to easily see your STL’s accomplishments. Here's how:
- Log in to the GenYES website.
- Click on the People link from the blue bar. You will see a list of your STLs along with information about each of them.
- Select STLs whose accomplishments you want to view. To select an STL, click on the checkbox on the far right hand side of each STL’s row. You can select multiple checkboxes to view multiple STLs' accomplishments, or select all STLs at once by clicking on the checkbox at the top of the last column.
- Once you have selected the STLs, click the Show Accomplishments button to see all your checked STLs accomplishments. This list is sortable by any column and can be downloaded as a CSV file by clicking the CSV link below. STLs with no completed TAPs will not show any accomplishments.
How To Use the STL Accomplishments
Ensure STLs are writing well: Read through the accomplishments to ensure that STLs are writing well. Student writing is always a good thing! Work on improving the accomplishment quality of writing.
Use STL Accomplishments as a percentage of an STL's final grade: Use the filters to see accomplishments during specific time frames, e.g., by quarter, semester, etc. This is a big help in using STLs accomplishments as a percentage of an STL’s final grade (if you are grading the STLs).
See an STL's improvement over time: The default list of accomplishment is for the present GenYES class they are in. If you want to see ALL an STLs accomplishments over multiple years, filter to select “Active and Inactive” class option. This is a cool feature as you can see an STLs improvement over time in their writing skill but also the complexity of the technologies and TAP they are completing.
Share with school or district administrators: This list of all your STL’s accomplishments are good to share with your school and district administrators as well as the school board to show the powerful support your students are providing the school and community.
Help STLs apply for jobs or write college applications: Finally, these accomplishments can be summarized by the students as they apply for summer jobs and write college applications. It is always good to provide specific examples of your capabilities to employers and colleges.
So, use the STL Accomplishments feature often and give us a call if you have any questions.
TAP of the Week
This week's TAP comes to us from Treasure Mountain Junior High School in Park City Utah.
Title: Social Media Challenge Poster
TAP Name: Make a poster for no social media challenge
TAP Accomplishments: Eena and I made a poster for Mr. T. We are using it to encourage other students to try out the no social media challenge we did. We used yellow poster board and typed out a title and pledge that said at the end if you can prove you did it you will get a donut.